Mining – a specialized courseMining ADDA
MINING ENGINEERING –
- A specialised branch of engineering which combines knowledge of science and application of technology for extraction of minerals.
- It is not bounded in a single discipline but emphasises on interdisciplinary aspect of various other branches of science as well as engineering like geology, surveying, geotechnical engineering, excavation and mine mechanisation, metallurgy & mineral processing etc.
Courses offered in Mining Engineering are at three levels—
- Intermediate level well known as Diploma in Mining Engineering
- Undergraduate level known as B.Tech or B.E.
- Postgraduate level as M.Tech, Ph. D and Research Fellow
List of IITs offering B.Tech in Mining Engineering—
Out of 23 IITs at present, only three leading IITs provide a promising B.Tech course in Mining Engineering. With IIT BHU as the pioneer in Mining Engineering are listed as:
Name of IIT Location Departmental Inauguration
IIT BHU Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 1923
IIT Dhanbad Dhanbad, Jharkhnad 1926
IIT Kharagpur Kharagpur, West Bengal 1956
List of NITs offering B.Tech in Mining Engineering—
Out of 31 NITs at present, only five leading NITs provide a promising B.Tech course in Mining Engineering. With NIT Raipur as the pioneer in Mining Engineering are listed as:
Name of NIT Location Departmental Inauguration
NIT Raipur Raipur, Chhattisgarh 1956
NIT Rourkela Rourkela, Odisha 1961
NIT Nagpur Nagpur, Maharashtra 1983
NIT Surathkal Surathkal, Karnataka 1984
NIT Jalandhar in Punjab is the youngest in the lead offering B.Tech course